The Summit Preparatory School is Moving to Walnut LawnNew Building in 2018-2019 School Year
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Amy Maas, The Summit Preparatory School, Communications Officer
417-869-8077 | firstname.lastname@example.org
THE SUMMIT PREPARATORY SCHOOL RELOCATES FOR GROWTH IN 2018-19
SPRINGFIELD, MO – September 19, 2017: The Summit Preparatory School will relocate their campus to 202 E Walnut Lawn for the 2018-2019 academic year. The school is purchasing the new building to meet the needs of a growing enrollment and to better execute its unique and independent, education model.
At just under 40,000 sq ft, the former Mercy Fitness Center space easily accommodates current classes and provides options for continued growth. The remodel design enables enhanced spaces for the school’s innovative, thematically-integrated, project-based curriculum model to be more fully realized. In addition, the 6-acre plot offers a serene park-like green space to accommodate play and learning inside and outside of the classroom walls.
The Summit has secured Hood-Rich Architecture for the project. The purchase and year long renovation process is being financed through a combination of a generous donation and Guaranty Bank financing. Additional phases of the master campus plan will be executed as need and finances merit.
The Summit offers preschool (3 year old Beginners) through high school (12th grade). Aligning with The Summit’s project-based learning model, teachers across all grades (Preschool – High School) are creating lessons to help learners understand elements of the building process from finance to design to construction.
The school has grown 24% over the past 4 years to a current enrollment of 158 students. It specializes in small class sizes of no more than 18 for grades PK – 12 and no more than 12 for preschool. In recent years, The Summit has implemented a wait-listing system to compensate for demand as the current building offers little space to add additional classes for these grades. Student-teacher ratios are 11:1. Tuition averages $8,831 per year, and 42% of families receive financial aid. In just thirteen years, what started as a good idea by progressive parents and educators, has grown into a premier facility for academic excellence.
Head of School at The Summit, Rob Groninger, shared, “Today is a great day for The Summit. The new campus will help us provide an even richer educational experience for our current students and allow us to grow in size and scope. We are very excited about this next chapter in The Summit’s story.”
The Summit Board of Trustees President, Alison Bauer, stated, “This expansion to a new campus will allow The Summit to become an even more valuable member of the greater Springfield community. We look forward to welcoming new families and introducing the school to many people in the region that, before now, were not familiar with our school.”
Schedule a tour of The Summit by calling Amy Maas at 417-869-8077 or emailing her at email@example.com.
The mission of The Summit Preparatory School is to provide students with an empowering education in a supportive, stimulating environment. The Summit achieves this through small class sizes, a strong foreign language program, progressive education principles, and a challenging differentiated curriculum.
New Location starting June 2018
202 E. Walnut Lawn Street
Springfield, MO 65807
Current Status: Construction Bids
On going: Bids are being taken for construction.
1/18/18: Design plans for new building finalized.
12/29/17: Signage installed at new building.
10/2017: Billy Kimmons, Hood-Rich Architecture, hired for project.
9/26/17: Summit signs contract on new building.
9/18/17: Springfield City Council Approves Rezoning of 202 E. Walnut Lawn Property
September 2017: City Council Zoning Approval & Contract Close
Fall 2017: Building Design
Winter & Spring 2018: Construction
May 2018: Moving Begins
August 2018: Grand Opening & Classes Begin
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Where is the new building? The Summit will purchase (contract pending zoning approval) an existing building located at 202 E. Walnut Lawn St., Springfield, MO 65807. The building will be renovated to serve as our school.
2) Why is The Summit moving? The Summit is growing! Our continued enrollment increases and the fact that the lease on the current Chesterfield Village building expires in 2018 makes this the perfect time for The Summit to finally buy its own facility.
3) Why did you pick this location? The Board of Trustees Building Committee has actively searched properties over the past 2 years. To begin the search process, committee completed a needs assessment with an architecture firm and gained perspective from staff. Using this input, the committee established needs for specific space as well as additional desired attributes for our new location:
- Situated in the SW part of town (based on current family zip code analysis)
- Good security potential
- Outdoor green space
- Flexibility to accommodate future growth
- High visibility for greater awareness
4) How is the project being funded? Funding has been secured by combination of a generous cash donation from non-parent donor and a loan through Guaranty Bank. The Summit negotiated a better mortgage payment than our current lease, more money to reinvest in school.
5) Will tuition increase due to this new building? Will current families be assessed to cover building costs? An assessment is not part of the funding model. Tuition for the current 2017-2018 academic year will not change. Future tuition rates are not expected to be impacted by the new building.
6) What are the design plans? How do I share an idea? Detailed building design plans are in development in early fall 2017. The project architect was chosen through a Request for Proposal process and detailed review of the bidders including school sector experience, financial requirements, time available and dedication. The Board of Trustees Building Committee, Educators and Administration are actively involved in briefing our chosen architect and will participate in the building design phase.
7) When will the school move? What is the general timeline for the project? The Summit will start classes in the new building in fall 2018.
In the News
2/5/18: KOLR – Summit Preparatory School Relocating for More Space
10/17/17: Springfield News-Leader – Summit Prep to spend $4.5 million to buy, renovate new campus
9/25/17: Springfield Business Journal – Rezoning triggers Summit Preparatory acquisition
9/19/17: Springfield Business Journal – Council approves rezoning for new Summit Prep campus
9/6/17: Springfield Business Journal – Summit Preparatory School seeks rezoning for new campus
Architect: Billy Kimmons, Hood-Rich Architecture
Billy Kimmons, a Summit Parent and principal architect at Hood-Rich Architecture, has been selected as architect for The Summit Prep’s New Walnut Lawn Building Project. Mr. Kimmons is a long time supporter of The Summit and has been working with the school’s Building & Facilities Committee since the inception of this project. Hood-Rich’s Nick Beisher is the project architect for The Summit.
For more information please contact Summit Communications Officer Amy Maas at firstname.lastname@example.org or (417) 869-8077.